Prison Island Tour
In Zanzibar, daily
English French Spanish
1 - 50
10 - 65
Zanzibar Treasure tour & Safaris
Prison Island or Changuu Island is the middle island of the three visible from the Stone Town. It takes approximately 30 minutes to get there by boat. The prison which was never used on this island was built in 1893, but was later used as a Quarantine Hospital.
HighlightsLocal made wooden boat to Prison Island, Learn more about culture and some History about Zanzibar islands, Swimming and on the Beach relaxing, Feeding the giant Tortoises at Prison Island, Taking amazing photos of stone town
After a pickup at your hotel, you'll start this memorable day with a good-half-an-hour boat trip to Prison Island, also known as Changuu island or Quarantine island, located in the Zanzibar Archipelago. In 1893 the former British prime minister of Zanzibar purchased the island and built a prison complex on it. But - it never served to its intended use! It was used as a quarantine station for yellow fever cases. Today is the building a ruin, but it serves as a lovely guesthouse for tourists, where you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy magnificent views after visiting the giant tortoises' reserve, where you will admire, pet, and even feed these magnificent, ancient, peaceful creatures. But - they are not locals! Four specimens of Aldabra giant tortoises were a gift from the governor of Seychelles in 1919.
They found Prison Island a great environment and bred freely. Today, many tortoises are welcoming you, and the first settlers are still among them! There is also a nursery for baby tortoises, where you can see baby tortoises of different ages. A great encounter for everyone, especially for kids! Round up this great day with some snorkeling around the coral reefs, admire colorful fish, many beautiful starfish, and picturesque seashells., or simply relax on the white sandy beach. Upon your return admire the breathtaking view of Stone Town, the bay, and the archipelago.
- You are welcome to bring your swim suit under easy wear clothes – shorts, summer tops, sunhat and sun-glasses
- You can combine with Old Stone town tour or Visiting Spices & Herbs as full day excursion
- Bring Water resistant bag for cameras and other valuables
- Bring Beach towels – the hotel to provide
Friendly, professional and well experienced tour guide
Pickup and drop off from Stone town area
A bottle of water during the tour
All taxes and entrance fees
Boat return trip
Accommodation in not included
International and Domestic flights not included
Meals not included
Gratuities for guide/driver and Tips
Loading. Please wait.
Good to Know
As a company, we are always honored to protect the benefits of our business partners and guests, and to always provide the best price, the best package and convenience in cancellation conditions for them.
Below cancellation policy is only for land services and we will follow the cancellation policy of airline companies for domestic flights.
- If the booking is canceled 8 weeks to the departure you can get full refund.
- If the booking is canceled 7 weeks to the departure, we will refund 100 EUR only.
- If the booking is canceled 3 weeks prior to the departure, you will not be refunded. Under any circumstances, there will be no refund for the promoted tours. The balance will be identified as "Future Tour Credits" to use in the future. Please contact [email protected] or your tour operator to change tour dates and other details.
Under any circumstances, there will be no refund for the promoted tours. The balance will be identified as "Future Tour Credits" to use in the future. Please contact [email protected] or your tour operator to change tour dates and other details.
No refunds will be provided for tours sold during Black Friday under any circumstances to travelers or operators.
Kindly feel free to ask the tour provider for details on pricing, quotas, and additional information.